The Paleolithic or Paleo diet is among the most famous diet’s in America now. The Paleo Diet, also called the cave-man diet or hunter gatherer diet is founded on the concept that before modern agriculture (Paleolithic age 2.5 million years ago to 10,000 B.C.) the human body evolved and adjusted to eating a diet consisting of wild plants and creatures. Our ancestors were genetically exactly the same as modern humans. They flourished eating such foods and were free of diseases like obesity, diabetes and heart problems. Several studies suggest that this diet may lead to significant weight loss (without calorie counting) and major improvements in wellbeing.
What Does A Paleo Diet Consist of?
The paleo diet consists of foods which can be gathered like eggs, fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices and foods that can be hunted or fished like meat, organ meat and seafood.
Foods that aren’t about the paleo diet are anything processed, grains, legumes (beans and peanuts), uncooked dairy, salt, and oils.
Raw Dairy is considered by some experts to be paleo while others consider it does the list is made by n’t. A paleo diet with dairy product added in is called a Neo-Paleo diet.
This is a list of foods that are okay to eat and which should be avoided in paleo diet:
|Nuts and seeds||Vegetables Oils|
|Herbs||Margarine and trans fats|
|Spices||Most dairy products|
|Healthy fats and oils||Legumes|
What to Eat?
- Meats : Beef, turkey, lamb, chicken, pork and others.
- Tubers : Potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Fish and Seafood : Salmon, shrimp, trout, catfish, haddock, shellfish, etc.
- Vegetables : Broccoli, carrots, kale, peppers, tomatoes, onions, etc.
- Eggs : Pastured or omega 3-enriched eggs, choose free-range
- Fruits : Apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, avocados, and more.
- Healthy Fats and Oils: Lard, coconut oil, tallow, olive oil, avocado oil, etc.
- Nuts and Seeds : Pumpkin seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and more.
- Salt and Spices : Himalayan salt, sea salt, turmeric, garlic, rosemary, etc.
What to drink?
When it comes to hydration, water needs to be your go-to drink. These aren’t exactly paleo, but most people drink them anyhow: